Leadership Stockton is a program of the Greater Stockton Chamber of Commerce
PROGRAM OVERVIEW: (click here to download a brochure)
Leadership Stockton is an 11-month program dedicated to providing participants with an understanding of our region’s history, diversity, justice system, politics, government, economy, education, human services, and health care. Participants are also involved in addressing the needs of our community through hands-on service projects.
The program year consists of one full day a month (August-June) and an overnight retreat in September. The year ends in June with an evening graduation.
Leadership Stockton participants embark on a journey that puts them in touch with the Greater Stockton community, as well as each other, and develops their personal leadership skills. Various perspectives are presented through the use of expert panelists, tours, and simulation activities.
In addition, the “hands-on service projects” focus on solutions to real community problems. Each project is designed to bring about positive community change, as well as teach the participants about the value of setting and achieving goals.
- Identify and bring together men and women of Stockton who welcome the opportunity to expand their involvement in community affairs and are willing to assume leadership positions.
- Enhance the participant’s knowledge of and commitment to the Greater Stockton area to make their involvement in community affairs more effective.
- Develop and form friendships that will benefit their professional and volunteer careers.
- Promote active involvement by the participants in a wide range of civic and community affairs.
- Stimulate a common understanding among the various social and economic groups of the forces and trends affecting the development of the community, and enhance the ability of these groups to work together for the advancement of the Greater Stockton area.
- Facilitate and exchange viewpoints and varied experiences among all participants in the program, thereby expanding communication among the most active and involved members of the community.
A representative group of approximately 26 participants will be selected annually. Area businesses, public and private agencies, civic groups, and other organizations are asked to identify and sponsor individuals with leadership potential for the Leadership Stockton program.
Candidates are chosen to represent a rich diversity of backgrounds, which facilitates personal interaction within the group and increases understanding and knowledge of Stockton.
Participants are chosen from written applications and personal interviews by a selection committee.
Leadership Stockton is open to all individuals, regardless of creed, race, age, philosophy, or disability.
GRADUATION TO INVOLVEMENT:
After graduation, Leadership Stockton participants are ready to begin their roles as involved leaders through demonstrated community activities and continual support of the Leadership program.
Leadership Stockton is a non-profit program of the Greater Stockton Chamber of Commerce. The program is supported by tuitions, contributions from area organizations, local businesses and the Greater Stockton Chamber of Commerce. The tuition for 2017 – 2018 is $1,000 per participant.
The deadline to apply is June 9, 2017. Please fax and mail to arrive by the deadline. To encourage personal dedication to the Leadership Stockton program, all participants are required to pay the first $175 of the tuition fee. Partial scholarships are also available.
Participants in Leadership Stockton must have the support and commitment of their employer, if not self-employed. This ensures the employee will be able to fulfill the program requirements.
In order for Leadership Stockton to accomplish its stated goals, the full participation of each individual is necessary. Participation requirements include:
- Mandatory attendance at the Orientation Session (August 9, 2017), the Leadership Dynamics (August 11, 2017) and the two-day Retreat (September 22 & 23, 2017).
- Participate in individual projects, encouraging participants to explore their Stockton community.
- Participate in a hands-on community project.
- More than one absence during the program year will result in deletion from the program with no tuition refund. Late arrival or partial attendance at any session in excess of two occurrences will result in deletion from the program and no refund.
“My life has been enriched by the Leadership Stockton experience, not only in both the depth and breadth of knowledge gained about the community, but also in the relationships I’ve developed through the process.” — Connie Cochran, 2003-04 Chamber President