The Class of 2019 choose to renovate Women’s Center – Youth & Family Services Greenhouse Building, with the mission of remodeling the interior of the building to provide a safe, comfortable and modern environment for the children who have experienced or witnessed domestic violence here in San Joaquin County.
The Greenhouse is the children’s counseling center for children living at DAWN House (a domestic violence emergency shelter) in Stockton, California. It creates a safe place for children who have experienced or witnessed domestic violence to let go of the fear, guilt, and responsibility they feel and allows them to just be kids. These young victims learn that the violence is not their fault, while they create safety plans and role-play scenarios, so they can practice what to do in case of an emergency.
As with any large-scale renovation project, the labor was intensive and included organizing several events to raise the funds needed to accomplish our goals for these children.
With the partnership and support of the Women’s Center – Youth & Family Services, alumni and donors, the class accomplished their task of enhancing and modernizing the space to ensure functionality and more effectively facilitate healing.
The scope of the project included:
- Obtained full Tenant Improvement Permit (drawings donated by GRA Architects & Associates, Inc.)
- Abatement of asbestos contaminated drywall. (Abatement report donated by Bovee Environmental Management, Inc. & Abatement Demolition donated by PALS Professional Asbestos and Lead Services, Inc.)
- Demolition of walls and a surprise concrete shower basin
- Reframing of compromised floor members and dry rot
- Re-plumbed sanitary sewer and water lines (Donated by Comfort Air, Inc.)
- Rework of lighting and electrical throughout the space (Donated by Collins Electric, Inc.)
- Framed new ADA accessible restroom, storage and kitchen (Donated by CT Brayton and Son’s, Inc.)
- Tape, texture and wall patch
- Paint entire interior
- New flooring throughout (Harold W Thompson, Inc.)
- Installed New kitchen cabinetry
- New Plumbing fixtures throughout (Comfort Air, Inc. donation)
- New decor, accent furniture, and art
- Front area of the Green House will have improvements to the sitting area and planters
To learn more about the project and how you can help please visit their website: www.stocktonachieves.com/
Any questions please email LeadershipStockton19@gmail.com
Before and After Photos: